Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Wild World of Online Job Searching

So as you know, I am currently searching for a job. I have my resume on several sites. I really don't know how on earth people found a job without online job sites, but of course people weren't moving from job to job as quickly as they do now. The downside to ease of use is the mass influx of resumes and cover letters that employers have to read. Therefore, employers are quick to overlook those that don't stand out. There are many job search sites out there, you just have to sort out which ones will work for you and put your resume at the top of that huge stack.

Here are just some of the job sites that I am on:

LinkedIn: the Holy Grail of Networking
According to my cousin (who is a headhunter in NYC) the key is to NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!! Her advice was to get a recommendation from a previous employer (check) and to join some graphic design groups (check). I even joined some new grad groups and job searching groups. She also advised me to find a company I wanted to work for--but I just don't know what companies to look at yet. I feel like networking is much better if you have more experience and have actually started a CAREER and not a JOB.




(and yes that picture is me with my sweet purple Clemson diploma)

Monster.com: Probably the biggest job search engine out there, but Monster has the probably the pick of the crop. They always have new jobs (even though I have yet to hear from ANY of the ones that I've applied for). On this site you can enter in your job and career goals and they will automatically match up jobs in your area or in any area you wish to browse. It's also helped me to focus on the kind of job that I want and what I want to work towards.

CareerBuilder: Also a very big job search engine and it was the only one where I heard back from a job (the interview that I had a couple weeks ago). CareerBuilder actually matched my resume to them when they looked for potential employers--pretty neat! However their job search leaves something to be desired. Most of the entry level jobs that show up are sketchy marketing schemes that look almost as bad as Mary Kay...


(No picture, all business)

Job.com: Ok this was a random find...even though the website was kind of a "duh" moment...This website seems pretty legit (I'm from Boston we say that). I do need to explore this site a little bit more. I tend to favor Monster because I have the password saved (I'm SO bad at remembering passwords, it is ridiculous). Job.com usually sends me job matches every week via email, but they also tend to send me "supplemental education" emails. No, I do NOT want my Associates' Degree...I have a B.S. (Not that there's anything wrong with an Associates' Degree!)


(see all the crazy education ads??)

So these are just a few sites that I'm on. I'm also on YahooJobs, JobFox and iHirePrint to name a few more. I've also sent my resume to several graphic recruiters in the Atlanta area. IF for some crazy chance I finally get a follower (Come ON!!) let's network!

Here's hoping that SOMEONE soon will see my resume and be impressed!
And so, still signing off

FUN-EMPLOYED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment